It's the day after and I'm still devastated. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that we just lost the most brilliant, creative, passionate leader, visionary, technologist and entrepreneur of our generation and a guiding star for tech and web geeks like me.
I'm never going to forget yesterday when I woke up in the morning at around 7:30am, grabbed my iPhone 4 to check the latest on tech in Twitter and saw a combination of texts and messages from friends confirming the news and sending condolences. I knew what happened but it hadn't properly registered as yet. I woke, went to the living room, sat on my sofa and started flipping through the bevy of news apps and tech blogs on my phone. The coverage was breaking news everywhere. I then watched the embedded video footage from the BBC app and that was it. The sucker punch was delivered and it knocked the wind out of me.
I broke down.
I knew this was inevitable, but I couldn't believe he was gone. I switched on the TV and watched CNN's bits on Steve's legacy. I went to work after that but felt lower than a worm's bellybutton for the rest of the day.
The world losing Steve is like Potter fans losing Dumbledore - The apex wizard with magic so powerful you didn't even know that stuff was possible, the guy who's always ten steps ahead of the game and who you could rely on to save the day.
I wouldn't have a career if it wasn't for Steve and Apple. I wouldn't care about the user experience, usability, user-interface design and building better web products as much if I hadn't been blown away by the quality of their hardware and software that they've been churning out consistently for over a decade. My previous employer Cleartrip, where I spent close to 3 fantastic years before joining Landmark in 2009, wouldn't have existed if it wasn't for Steve and Apple and they said so themselves on their blog and Twitter accounts.
So Steve, like I said in my Facebook and Twitter statuses yesterday, thank you for everything - the inspiration, the career, the products, the quality, the experience, the bragging rights, the fun...everything. If I can achieve a fraction of what you have in my lifetime, I would have justified my time on this rock.
It's been a privilege to live in your world.
Sent from my iPad
Our phased expansions into different countries have kept the momentum of the organization growing. Today, the Landmark Group has a thriving, extensive network of outlets that boasts rising numbers of footfalls every year.
As part of our growth strategy we've been investing heavily in structured diversifications into sectors including health, food, clothing and malls - all of which are performing extremely well.
Reach out, give back
With the Landmark Group's reach extending across 15 countries, we have been lucky enough to give back to society through charitable projects like the 'Beat Diabetes' campaign and other environmental conservation, community building and empowerment campaigns.
The common thread that binds together all our diverse brands is the Group's mission to deliver great quality products at exceptional value for money. Our concepts across retail and hospitality segments compliment each other nicely catering to people from diverse backgrounds.
Listen, adapt, deliver
The cornerstone of our philosophy is to listen, adapt and deliver exceptional value. What sets us apart is a strong and dynamic culture of working towards this common goal which is understood and enthusiastically shared by the entire workforce of over 35,000 employees. This is truly an encouraging sign for the future of this company.
I would like to take this occasion to extend my heartfelt gratitude to all our customers, the wonderful people who work here and everyone else involved in creating the empire that is the Landmark Group.
Have you had an exceptional experience with the Landmark Group? We'd love to hear from you!
Candelite! caters to an eclectic, multicultural customer base that spans all age groups. With over 2000 products and 100 brands (including several international brands we stock exclusively), there's something to delight everyone. Our spacious, colourful stores are a visual treat for children and adults alike: we've noticed a distinct slowing of pace and turning of head by nearly everyone who walks past a Candelite! store.
To create an intuitive, fun candy-shopping experience, we've chosen to divide the store into 8 distinct sections:
- Kiddy Delights offers a range of lollipops, jellypops, chocopops, pick-n-mix candies, hard candies, marshmallows, jelly beans, novelty cookies and various character candies and chocolates for kids.
- Funky Treats is a hotspot for teenagers offering rock candies, flavoured mints packed in funky boxes and a wide range of sour treats
- Classic Delights stocks all-time adult favourites including chocolate bars, truffles, fudges, caramels, flavoured candy sticks to spice up hot beverages and ice creams, pick-n-mix chocolate-coated nuts and fruit and an extensive range of dark chocolates in unique flavours including chilli and pepper.
- Our No-Guilt Options include sugar-free, low-calorie, all-natural, organic and vegetarian products of the highest quality.
- The Snackin' Around section serves up delicious savoury snack items, all kinds of salted nuts, cocktail mixes, pretzels, biscuits, wafers and cookies.
- The Gourmet Room showcases high-end brands such as 'Rococo' (chocolates from the UK), 'Divan' (gourmet Turkish Delight), 'Al Nassma' (UAE's very own camel milk chocolate) and more.
- At Gifts Galore you'll find souvenir t- shirts, soft toys, candles and accessories, and a wide range of gift baskets. We also offer customized gifting solution to suit every budget and special occasion.
- A Chill-Out Zone dishes out handmade Italian gelato sticks and scoops made with fresh cream in natural fruit sorbet and sugar-free options, sumptuous cupcakes, freshly-made cotton candy and the orignal 'Slush Puppie'
Whether you're in the mood for a quick snack or an indulgent treat, Candelite! is the one-stop shop to satisfy your craving. What better way to make life sweeter?
me to leave the BB behind when we go out, or I'll be on it non-stop.
One of the chief mandates of the Landmark Group's Web Team is to keep improving our existing presence on the web. Our latest efforts have been directed at our Careers page, which was in need of an upgrade. The old page, though complete in information, lacked the punch to inspire energetic, talented people to consider working at Landmark.
We wanted a better, brighter page that reflected the Landmark Group's attractive work environment and the diverse, exciting opportunities it offers. Being such a large company often means being mistaken for a nameless, faceless organization, which we're anything but - so on the new Careers page, we included a candid Q&A section with some of our top executives describing their career paths and their experience at Landmark.
In the coming months, we'll be sharing:
managers by our fashion retail concept
of new employees by our kids'
entertainment concept Fun City
programme by our footwear concept
8) To accentuate my cheekbones (and make my face look smaller!) I love Diego Dalla Palma's pink powder, applied with a Diego Dalla Palma brush diagonally on the apples of my cheeks.