Continuing its runway dominance into Autumn/Winter 2010, military-inspired fashion is clearly here to stay. At Splash, we've been tracking this trend through its evolution from traditional pomp and ceremony to its present chic avatar, which takes subtler cues from 20th-century military and aviation uniforms. From army-green detailing to luxurious shearling-lined boots, military is one of this season's most sought-after styles.
Seasonal Must-HavesIf you're headed to colder climes this winter, stay fashionably warm with a military jacket or a great coat - both must-have pieces for the Autumn/Winter wearing of this style. For men, the military trench is a wardrobe essential.
- "Understated functionality" is the current military fashion mantra, with Army and Aviator being the dominant looks.
- Combat colours are all the rage. Army Green leads the parade, with Navy Blue coming in second. Bilberry Red is a sub-trend of its own.
- Shearling is the fabric of choice this season, whether as an embellishment on aviator boots or as collar lining for army coats.
- Leather is the perfect complement - not only in the form of the classic leather bomber jacket, but also in boots, gloves and caps.
Style Guide: The Aviator Look
Pull off an effortless Aviator look with these easy tips:
- Pair the Lee Cooper Aviator jacket with a gorgeous lace pencil skirt from Nexus at Splash for a sophisticated look.
- For an edgier spin, team this jacket with black Zync leggings, ultra-feminine thigh-high boots and a baggy t-shirt underneath.
- Take inspiration from wartime working attire with a full-length jumpsuit, nipped at the waist and tapered at the ankles.
- Form-fitting Jodhpurs tucked into army boots and paired with a bomber jacket make for a perfectly sexy female dandy look.
- Look for shearling- or fur-lined accessories like boots, caps, gloves and jackets.
- Don't skimp on the leather. Pants, skirts, shorts, coats, vests: whatever piece of clothing you name, it's probably already been sent down the runway in leather this year.
- Modernise your Aviator look with skinny cuts and form-fitting pieces.
- Add specific accessories like vintage aviator goggles to convey a sense of adventure.
Filter posts by category